Re: A Sunbeam, a Jag, and an MGB

To: british-cars@encore.com, southern@neit.cgd.ucar.edu
Subject: Re: A Sunbeam, a Jag, and an MGB
From: greg%uts.amdahl.com%amdcad%ames%think%bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU@bu.edu (Greg Bullough)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 91 15:08 PDT
Lawrence thinks william is confused, but is a bit baffled
himself...

>wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (william sadler) gets confused:
>>
>>The car in Commando was a Mercedes.

>Nope.  That was no Mercedes, it was a Sunbeam.  The rear fins
>looked too small to be an Alpine.  Ergo: Tiger.

B..bbb...   eee bbb..   eee    p!  (Typical Lucas horn)

Tigers are not distinguished by fin-size. Later Sunbeams
had smaller fins, be they Alpine or Tiger. You tell a
Tiger by the differences (e.g. logo, and bonnet treatment)
at the front of the car, as well as the dual exhausts and
fatter tires at the rear (which is the view that a number
of surprised drivers have seen).

Then again, when I see a later Sunbeam on the road, it
is usually a Tiger, because people apparently were
more inclined to save them, ignoring and/or cannibalizing
Alpines in the process.

Greg