tire and top preservative?

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: tire and top preservative?
From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 91 15:11:05 CDT
What has been the experience with tire and top
preservative?  I understand that some of the tire manufacturers
will void the warranty if "Armor-All" type products are used on
the sidewalls.  Same goes for the top, what is the best stuff
to keep the bird droppings from staining, etc.

After installing new redlines and top on my TR6, I would like to
keep both looking good as long as possible.  Any chemical explaination
as to the vinyl "addiction" problem where the rubber turns brown if
not treated regularly would be appreciated.

Roger

The suggestion of using a spark plug screw off tip to "extend" the pop
rivet gun's reach into the skinny windshield rubber channel works GREAT!
That extra 3/8" makes a difference and prevents the crushing of surrounding
material.