Re: History of our cars

To: British Cars <british-cars@hoosier>
Subject: Re: History of our cars
From: garnett@theory.TC.CORNELL.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1991 08:52:23 EDT
On Oct 10, 10:45pm, "Christopher A. Kent" wrote:
} Another bit of news: if you have a car that was licensed in GB, you
} can trace the previous owners:
}
} "The DVLC at Swansea run a Vehicle Enquiry Unit. This unit will trace
} all previous known owners of your vehicle and supply photo copies of the
} old registration documents ... The address to write to, giving the
} registration number of you car, is: Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre,
} Vehicle Enquiry Unit, Swansea, SA99 1AN".
}
} They claim that the service is free.

Now, that is what I've been looking for! Except, that although it's
free, they probably aren't up for postage to the U.S.  Is there
someone on this list living in England who would be willing to
get this info from the DLVC, forward it, and get reimbursed?
John U.? Ian M.?

I'd really like to try to fill out the middle years of the history of
my '34 MG PA, car # PA1509. What I know:
- Originally registered in Belfast to a D. Goldring of Old Cavehill Rd,
  Pretoria, on October 7, 1934

*** UK Reg. # CZ6385  ***. Purchased from Victor Ltd. of Belfast.

  Original engine #1773AP was replaced with 65P12  CS at the MG Car Co.
  in 1936. (Which is currently .060 overbore) The original head was retained.
- Sold to an H. Walker, of Hillsborough, Co. Down, (later Tullydonnell,
  Ballsmill, Co. Armagh) fall of 1936.

... Time passes-a war, and it ended up in the U.S....

-Listed on MGCC MMM Register (as 65P12 C5 - the current engine #, with
 a typo.) belonging to a James D. Sheridon of xxx, NY, years unknown.
-Owned by Michael J Larmey, in Braintree Massachusetts, USA, from ??? until
 August, 1979. Sold "As is... due to mechanical failure"
-Owned by John E. Holden, of Mount Joy, Pennslvania, USA from August 1979
 through 1986. Driven less than 100 miles, due to poor mechanical condition.
 Repainted Red after an engine compartment fire.
-Purchased by Davis Cutting of Ithaca, N.Y. (USA) in May 1986. He experienced
 another brief engine fire, due to backfiring of the carbs.
-the car sat in a shed until August of 1988 when I bought it.

The main "Previous user mess up" I found, was that the valve timing was
off by 30+ degrees! The timing of the overhead cam is set during
installation of the (vertical) generator. This is driven via bevel
gears from the crank, with another gear from the top of the generator
driving the cam. This setting was off through the last 3 owners, and
accounts for the backfiring and engine fires!

I've just fitted new Avon 4.00 x 19" tyres, and am getting ready
to take it up to Farmington, Ct. next week for the NE MG"T" Register
Fall Gathering of the Faithful, and VSCCA vintage races at Lime Rock
on Saturday (Oct 19). There will be 25 Pre-war cars from England,
and many from the US in attendance. (They will be visiting the
MG Museum in Wapole, NH, this Sunday, the 13th) If you're
in the area, don't miss the chance to see so many old MG's in the US,
in one place and time.

I've only seen 2 other MMM cars in person, a J2, and an NA. Can't
wait. (And, I've got a driving school at Lime Rock on Thursday in
the Alfa. What a week!)
   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett  (garnett@BATCOMPUTER.TC.CORNELL.EDU)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!