More Crosley

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: More Crosley
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 91 15:37:17 pdt
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Subject: Re: current owner mods
To: cobra@dtc.hp.com (Roland Dudley)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 91 14:00:58 PDT

>>From Roland:
>|
>| I forgot about the time I "repaired" the broken spring on my '47 Crosley

>so we drove it home to my garage and for several months after with a set
>of vice grips clamped  to the shaft.
>We were more casual in those days.  :^)

A casual attitude was about all we could afford, hey Dick.

Another Crosley story:

One day I was driving home from school and the Crosley stalled at a stop
light.  When I tried the restart the car, I discovered that the engine
had seized.  I had been noticing a burning smell earlier but decided
to ignore it until I got home.  I got out of the car and open the hood.
The smell was really strong now, like oil on the exhaust, accompanied by
a few whiffs of smoke here and there.  Still, I couldn't see anything
else besides the obvious fact that the radiator was bone dry.  No steam
or coolant (water actually, never used antifreeze in those days)
anywhere.  No trail of water behind me.  How come I hadn't noticed
anything that morning on the way to school?  I got on my hands and knees
and looked under the car.  Problem found.  The water pump was gently
swinging back and forth on the one hose that was still attached to it.
On a Crosley, the water pump was driven by a shaft coming out of the
back of the generator and the pump itself was bolted to the side of the
engine.  Since the car had stalled next to a service station, I pushed
it into the station lot and walked the rest of the way home.  I got my
Dad to drive me back in his truck, along with a few of his tools and an
assortment of nuts, bolts and hose clamps.  By the time I got back to
the Crosley it had cooled down enough to work on.  I reinstalled the
water pump (using lock washers on all the bolts), refilled the radiator
with water and was able to drive home.  Never had a cooling problem with
that car again.

Roland