Re: plastic windows

To: british-cars@hoosier (SOL list)
Subject: Re: plastic windows
From: tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 91 8:57:11 CDT
Back in '88, when I first joined this forum, I asked basically the
same question Jim Muller asks.  Here is the response I received from
that grizzled Brit-vet, Scott Fisher:

tj> Is there any way to keep the plastic rear window on a convertible
tj> top from becoming clouded as it ages?

sf> I usually run my windows down with Black Chrome when I do the
sf> top.  It helps a lot.

tj> Once a window has become clouded, is there any way to remove
tj> clouding and restore the plastic to its original clarity?

sf> A product called Happich's Simichrome does the trick somewhat.
sf> It's a jeweler's paste, and it's also incredible on aluminum.
sf> Does your Alpine have SU carbs?  (I think they don't, but I
sf> can't remember.)  Anyway, you rub it on and it takes much of
sf> the yellow clouding away.  There's also Meguiar's Plastic
sf> Polish; I got three bottles in a Bugeye Sprite that I bought
sf> a couple years ago, but I never tried it.  I can recommend
sf> the Simichrome, though.  Just watch out--rubbing it off the
sf> plastic creates the most amazing static charges!  Don't hold
sf> any magnetic recording media while you're cleaning your
sf> convertible top (I *always* hold unbacked-up system files
sf> when I clean *my* car...:-)

I also saved something from Sept '90 from Jerry Kaidor:

jk> The aviation folks have a kit called "Micro-Mesh" for restoring
jk> scratched plastic.  It consists of abrasive-empregnated cloths of
jk> various grits, all the way up to 24,000 grit! ( Or so ).  Anyway, you
jk> use it by taking off your scratch es with regular 600 grit paper
jk> first, then sanding down the area with finer and finer micro-mesh
jk> cloths.  It's very labor intensive, but plastic can be returned to
jk> virgin smoothness.  The kit costs about $20, and is sold at aviation
jk> supply houses ( down at your local small-plane airport ).  I used it
jk> on the rear window of my TR2 hardtop, which is made of solid
jk> unobtainium.

T.J. Higgins    205-730-7922  |  higgins@ingr.com    (Internet)
Mapping Sciences Division     |  uunet!ingr!higgins  (uucp)
Intergraph Corp.  M/S IW17A6  Huntsville, Alabama, U.S.A.  35894-0001