Re: long stemmed roses

To: wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (william sadler)
Subject: Re: long stemmed roses
From: phile@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 91 9:19:48 CDT
william sadler writes >

>Someone on rec.boats has informed me that clear coating any color
(like teal, maybe) with a polyurethane paint like Imron (gag) or
Chromabase, Sherwin-Williams, etc. significantly reduces the
amount of uv absorption and will protect the underlying fibreglass.

No, that clear-coat protects the paint from the UV.  Esp. useful for metalics,
which bounce the UV around more.  Ever see a baked-out silver paint job?
The clearcoat's UV filter prevents this.

The opaque paint itself protects the underlying fibreglass from UV.  The
problem we were discussing is heat disturbing the fibreglass.  Darker colors
such as black absorb more light and reflect less.  The absorbed light is
changed to heat.  You can fry a  egg on a black car whilst seated comfortably
on the fender of the white car parked next to it.  Red cars absorb a lot in the
sun, also becoming damned near as hot as black ones.  It is this constant heat,
not UV radiation that the sailplane pilots are worried about.  So they always
paint their gliders white.

The teal will probably not be that bad in the sun, and the car will be garaged
most of the time, so it is hard for me to sell my wife on a the idea that
we could wreck the fiberglass.  Not when she can see all these black 'Vettes
running around!

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324