why the ballast resistor

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: why the ballast resistor
From: muller@sunrise.alliant.com (Jim Muller)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 91 12:03:15 EDT
Some time ago, maybe a year?, I saw an explanation of why there is a ballast
resistor in the coil circit.  I thought the explanation was here in SOL.

I am just curious, no other reason, but I remember it was more than just the
obvious explanation of "well, you need to cut back the current or it will
overheat the coil".  This explanation was more along the lines of why you
had to use a coil "intended" to run on a lower voltage than 12 anyway when
the rest of the car is a 12 volt system.  Could someone post that again?

Thanks,

Jim Muller