Oils seals and ridges

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Oils seals and ridges
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 91 09:58:46 EST
In the process of rebuilding my '75 TR6 engine, I'm replacing *all*
the oil seals (trans, diff, engine) as I think that they are all 16
years old.  The front of the crank has a small removable piece that
rides in the timing cover oil seal.  The old piece was grooved and
worn, and had "I'm going to leave oil on your driveway" written all
over it.  Luckily, TRF had a replacement.  The rear part of crank has
a groove too, but it's perfectly round, and very smooth.  Now I can
position the seal so that it doesn't ride on that groove and I don't
think that groove is supposed to be there.  Is it?  Avoid that groove?
Any experience installing oil seals that don't leak would be mondo
appreciated.

Thanks!

-Scott                  (paisley@cme.nist.gov)