RE: New wood dash

To: spit@neuro.duke.edu, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE: New wood dash
From: DANIELS@LMSBVX.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels/TAMU-LMSB Systems)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1991 9:27:29 CST
>From: spit@neuro.duke.edu (Michael D. Burdick)
>
>I am wondering if there was any reason why I shouldn't put a coat of
>sealer or varnish on the edges and back side of my new dashboard.

My opinion is *sure, go ahead*.  I've seen the havoc that a little moisture
can wreak on the back side of my TR6 dash - anything you can do to keep
that baby dry and protected from all sides would seem perspicacious.

And regarding the *front* of the dash -- my former Spit had a thick coating
of SHELLAC from the factory (BTW, shellac is actually made from the
excretions of some certain insects).  The shellac eventually cracked badly,
so I stripped it off, touched up the stain a bit, and used a few coats of
polyurethane sealer (the modern replacement for varnishes and shellacs).
The result was a really *beautiful* dash that will probably last for years.
Now why did I sell that car?...

Lee M. Daniels  |  daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu   |   (409) 845-3726