disc brake shields

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: disc brake shields
From: Clay Robinson <crobinso@sesky4102b.pl.osd.mil>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 93 17:32:44 EST
From: crobinso
Full-Name: Clay Robinson@program support
Subject: RE:  Jaguar Oil Consumption
To: british-cars@autox.team.net

>>R. Eugene Johnston (smp) <rej@cs.unc.edu> wrote:

>>For 10 years I drove a '60 MK II as my daily driver. It had a rebuilt engine
>>>and was in good condition. I religously checked the oil and found variations
>>>as wide as 1/2 quart down after a small number of miles, say 100, and then
>no >>loss of oil after maybe 500 miles. It didn't seem to be related to
>distance >>traveled at one time. I had the same experience with a 69 E
>type.... I never >>did solve the problem. guess that is Jaguar Character...

I wonder if Oil consumption is inherent in the nature of the Jaguar corporate
beast.  I own a 1961 Daimler SP-250 (note this is after Jag bought out
Daimler).  I believe that the owner's manual says to expect the car to burn 4
quarts of oil per 1000 miles.  What about other owners' manuals?

OR, I wonder if it is inherent in the nature of the manufacture of the body and
chassis...i.e. My former Sunbeam Tiger could have doubled as a crop duster.  It
was discusting to start the car in a busy parking lot with some unsuspecting
soul walking behind the car.  Of course that was in my youth when I did not
know better.   I sold that car and bought a true British V-8.

Just pondering.

Clay Robinson

P.S.  It was just valve seals on the Tiger.