More TR-6 Rear End

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: More TR-6 Rear End
From: Ron Hood <hood@advtech.uswest.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 93 21:54:20 MST
I've started tearing apart the back half of my TR-6 for my "New
Springs & Bushings" project and it is looking like the project
may be expanding in scope (tell me you're surprised....).  Here's
the progress to date:

  - It looks like the shocks are OK.  The car has less than 60k
    miles on it and both rear shocks still provide smooth resistance
    to movement.  I'll probably just top off the oil and call it good.

  - When I pulled off the rear wheels I found a leaking slave cylinder
    and no brake fluid in the resevour (and the brakes were fine when
    I drove it a week ago!).  I'm planning to kit the slaves and calipers
    as well as the master cylinder.  I seem to remember people saying that
    it was best to just pick up a rebuilt master, but the cost is pushing
    me towards a kit ($35 vs $180).

  - When I last drove the car I started hearing a knocking noise from the
    rear end, quiet at first but getting quite distinct in a matter of
    30 minutes or so.  I would suspect something in the differential
    except that the rate of the knocking dropped when I shifted in to
    overdrive (while maintaining the same speed).  Makes me think it
    is something between the transmission and the overdrive unit (although
    I can't think of what).  Also, it only made noise when the drive
    train was transmitting power to the wheels -- wheels to engine
    (compression) was quiet.  Any ideas on what I should look for?

  - Getting the half-axles out is a royal pain!  To get to the driver's
    side bolts you have to pull out the back half of the exhaust, and
    for the life of me I can't pull apart the rusted together compression
    joints (hints?).  Also, what's the secret for pulling the rubber
    boot and inner flange through the hole in the trailing arm?  I
    found that the whole mess wedged tight in the hole, and the only
    way I could get one through was by turning the boot inside out --
    not an easy task.

  - Finally, the U-joints on one axle are tight while there's just a hint
    of play in the other.  I'm inclined to change out the lot just so that
    I don't have to do this again.  Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks again for all the advice -- more news as it breaks (so to speak).

Ron
--
Ronald C. Hood                                  U S WEST Advanced Technologies
hood@uswest.com                                 Boulder, Colorado