Spit/GT6 conversion

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Spit/GT6 conversion
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 92 13:11:04 -0500
        The problem is the increase in torque.  Personally, I don't think
the change from a 1.5 liter to a 2.0 liter 6 is going to cause that much
trouble.  I am further considering stroking the GT6 2 liter to 2.5.  I
still think the frame should handle it O.K..  But It will be pushing the
limits.  I don't know how much they hop up race engines in spits, but I
assume they are about the same level as a stroked 2.0 liter or better.
Probably the best thing to do is build a torque tube down the center of the
car by welding flat plates between the frame rails.  Better yet, a crude
'K' or 'x' element structure surrounding the driveshaft bolted to the
rear trans mount and the differential would isolate the body from all
driveshaft torque and make the car stiffer than it is now.  I don't
think that kind of modification is necessary, but it would help one
sleep at night :-)
Woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu