Cool it!

To: sol
Subject: Cool it!
From: mjb (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 92 00:54:40 -0700
This message is really about oil coolers, but the subject line did remind
me of something.  There have been a few personal attacks on this list, and
they are not appreciated, nor even welcome.  Please refrain from this sort
of thing.

Now, on to a more slippery subject.  A few folks have asked about oil coolers
and plumbing, so I thought I'd reply in general.  Those who still have some
questions unanswered by this send me mail.

  First off, a decent oil cooler system, with no thermostat involved, will
cost from $120 to $200 (TRF) or so new.  A top grade cooler, like one from
Earl's[*], runs about $70.  An adapter plate for cars with spin on filters is
about $20 to $30, hoses can be another $30 to $100.  Getting a "universal"
type of cooler kit, using Earl's hardware would be about $120.  Plumbing a
cooler into a cannister type application may be more complex, or maybe just
more expensive.  For instance, the Mocal spin on adapter for Triumph Six
motors (TRFEL403 from TRF) is about $60, and has fittings for the 1/2" BSP
hoses on it.

Speaking of fitting size, the standard aircraft type hoses in the US of A are
measured by how many 16ths of an inch are involved, denoted by the "dash
number" as in -10 hose meaning 10/16ths, or 5/8ths.  And -6 would be 6/16
or 3/8ths, right?  Well, the fly in the bearing grease here is that the size
standard refers to the OD of a metal tube, not the ID.  The standard doesn't
say much about the ID.  So it goes.

Assuming we are putting an Earl's cooler with custom hoses on our Trusty
Spitfire:

Oil radiator     $70   (13 row)
mounting bracket $ 5
Adapter plate    $20
6 feet -10 hose  $30 (Just a guess, I'll measure tomorrow when it is not dark)
2 90 deg. ends   $34
2 straight ends  $20
               -----
                $179

So a nice, braided stainless, well made cooler setup would cost you nearly
$180 in parts.  You would still have to assemble the hose ends and such.
One could use cheaper hoses (actually, one could also use more expensive
hoses, I picked a good compromise) and spend less.  Or throw in a thermostat
for $50 and some more fittings.  Earl's does make some sandwich plate adapters
with thermostats built in, but I have not yet talked to anyone who could give
me details.  I'll try to get that info soon.  I have yet to convince myself
whether an oil thermostat is required.  I'll probably just end up unhooking
the cooler in the winter!

And of course one could try to scrounge used parts.  Look for an MGB-GT in a
junkyard that has not been hit in the front.  These cars all came with your
standard (Coventry Pressings?) LBC oil cooler, 1/2" BSP fittings and the
mounting tabs that bolt right up to the front radiator guard on a TR250/6.
Now you know what that cut out area under the bumper is for!

mjb.

*: Earl's is a competition plumbing supply house.  They have quite a
   reputation among racers.  Now your LBC can have the braided hose and
   anodised fittings that all the big time racers run!