Re: Re: Back on the road again

To: ralph@swmerc.rain.com
Subject: Re: Re: Back on the road again
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@snakebyte.cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 92 07:30:16 pst
> From: ralph@swmerc.rain.com (Ralph Merwin)
> Subject: Re: Back on the road again
> To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu (BritishCars)
> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 92 21:56:09 PST
>

> TeriAnn writes:
> >
> > But then again, I generally do not use gaskets anymore.  I use the blue
> > silicone stuff from Permatex unstead.  It will not survive petrol, but it
> > handles hot oil.
>
> Be sure that you go easy on this stuff.  The (very dead) tranny that I
> pulled from my GT6 had this stuff, and whoever put it on didn't know
> the word 'sufficient'.  It had squished out during assembly, inside and
> out the tranny, and chunks were in the oil (and, I assume ground up in
>
> Ralph

I even wonder if this stuff is immune to hot oil.  I had my VW engine
rebuilt a couple of years ago and the mechanic who did the rebuild
used this stuff to seal the valve cover gaskets.  I found chunks of
the it in oil screen for the first couple of oil changes.  I've been
using the old style Permatex since.

Roland