Re: Starter rebuilds

To: DSTONE@SC9.intel.com (Daren Stone D2 IE 5-9521 bpr:237-2322 RN2-C6)
Subject: Re: Starter rebuilds
From: medtron!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@uunet.UU.NET (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 92 12:58:54 CST
Daren Stone writes

>Spridgetly-speaking, the hardest thing bout
     getting into a starter is disassembling the bendix (the
     gear drive). On this model starter (Lucas 35G, stamped
     on the side of the main body), you must compress a
     *very* large spring, which I assume, is there to absorb
     the shock of the starter gear slamming into the flywheel
     ring gear.

NO KIDDING!!  I had a dead starter, and another starter which kindda worked on
the floor, but had the ends of the ears broken off on on the mounting plate.
After fighting with the Bendix, I said screw it and got a rebuilt one from
Ron Hirabayashi in Mpls.  I told Ron he could have both cores.  "They won't
take the one with the broken ears anyway", he said.  I took it home and
Bridget's new owner probably still has it.

BTW, Daren, Mark Baker has mailed your RIGHT LINEs now.

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324