running too rich

To: chrysanthemum!sol@hoosier
Subject: running too rich
From: taylor!randy
Date: Tue Apr 7 00:19:01 1992
Rich Hill writes:

>I have an electric fuel pump (another long story) and when I turned it on it

>just pumped forever, eventually filling up both carbon canisters and the intake

>manifold!!  I don't think this is the desired result!.  After much frustration,

>the installation of a fuel pressure regulator, and still no luck, I switched

>back to the standard jet.  The car started right up.  Now the problem:

>IT RUNS WAY TOO RICH

>There is no way I can get anything but yellow/orange on the colortune and it

>idles very poorly.  Ideas:

>1) The choke is screwed up

Possible, taken in context, not likely, but it is a common problem.

>2) The jet is screwed up (although it did work before I took everything apart)

Not likely.

>3) The float doesn't (also worked before I took it apart - maybe it dried out

>and cracked?  It's been dry for 4 months)

I've personally never seen a Stromberg float fail.

>Any other possibilities (I got most of the gas out of the charcoal canisters

>but it still runs rich.  Actually it runs rich without the canisters hooked

>up so that rules that out.)

Check the sump for gas, It's very possible the new pump washed out the

cylinders. If the oil does not smell of fuel, then three possibles:

 1> too much fuel pressure.

 2> float level way off

 3> WAY too much fuel pressure

Oh, you'll also probably need to leave the charcoal cans unhooked for several

months to air out.

   Randy