re: tr7 (and 8) styling

To: amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Subject: re: tr7 (and 8) styling
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 14 Apr 1992 11:25 EDT
>TJ Higgins wrote:
>>It's fairly obvious that the TR7's styling was years ahead of its
>>time.  Taken a look at a Honda Prelude or [insert name of just about
>>any "sporty" rice-burner here] lately?  Don't get me wrong, I own 2
>>Japanese vehicles myself, but I don't think the TR7 gets enough credit
>>for its cutting edge styling.  Sure, there were other cars before it
>>that used a similar shape, but it was the first "doorstop" for the
>>masses.  The shape of the TR7 didn't do it in, poor quality and a
>>less-than-optimal choice for a powerplant did.
>
>Which brings to mind an incident that happened last Fall when my wife
>and I had our TR8 conv. out for a little run.  We had dinner in an historic
>inn in a little town and when we came out there were a couple of
>people admiring the 8.  One fellow asked what year it was and almost
>fell over when I told him it was an '80.  He couldn't believe it wasn't
>more than a year or two old.
>--
>Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)

I get that comment many times.  folks (gas station attendants, etc.)
just are not expecting a car that is 10 or more years old to have a styling
that is as contemporary today as it was advanced for the 70's.

I'm always amazed, too, when I come across a teenager who doesn't
have the foggiest notion about Triumphs and then learns that
the car is no longer made and is, in fact, over 10 years old.

Bill