Exhaust studs. (oil pressure problem)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Exhaust studs. (oil pressure problem)
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 92 15:35:39 EDT
Hi again!

To bring everyone up to date: a couple weeks ago I put an oil cooler in
my '74 MGB then took it out because the oil pressure was high.  The oil
pressure was still abnormally high (about 100 psi until hot, then between
70-90 psi while driving.)  I swapped oil pressure senders with no change.
I've decided to go ahead and pull out the relief valve, clean it, and put
it back in and see if this fixes the problem.

To get to the relief valve, it seems that I have to move the exhaust.  This
brings me to my question, what is the best way to remove the studs without
them breaking?  I ask this because this weekend I took out my seats and
managed to snap four frozen bolts on the passenger side and want to avoid
doing this with the exhaust studs.  For that matter, how do studs get put
in and taken out in the first place?  I hope to be able to just remove the
nuts and slide the exhaust manifold off, but I have yet to try a project
on the B and have things work like I planned.

Removing the seats to repair some rust is a great example - I managed to
not only snap four bolts, but two easy-outs trying to get them out.  All
in all a job that I thought would take an afternoon took Saturday,
Sunday, and last night.  I did finally finish, so now I have rust free
floors and new carpet :-)  At what point does this start to get easier
so you don't make five trips to Sears everytime you do something to
your car?

Thanks,

Bob

P.s. To Will Sadler, if everything goes well (and it ever stops raining),
I hope to drive the MGB home to Bloomington this weekend, so drop me
a line and I'll try to stop by.