re: rebuilding carbs, distributor

To: wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu
Subject: re: rebuilding carbs, distributor
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 20 Apr 1992 13:22 EDT
>I got my MGC running last Friday.  It was only working on 4 cylinders,
>so I took it to a local shop here where the head mechanic is very
>good.  He told me that the distributor was seized and that the
>carbs needed to be rebuilt.  He tuned it so that all 6 were working,
>so I am now able to drive it, but he thought that it wouldn't last long.

How much faith do you have in this mechanic?  He claims the distributor
was seized, yet the car still was able to run on 4 of the 6 cylinders.
Something sounds mighty fishy.  I can't think of anything in the distributor
that could be appropriately described as being "seized" that would still
allow the distributor to properly function for 4 of the cylinders.

Maybe it is just the mechanics poor description of a worn unit, but
I'd want a better explanation of the problem.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com