More TR4 transmission/clutch/suspension questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: More TR4 transmission/clutch/suspension questions
From: mrmike@fsserv.ge.com ("Mr. Mike" Passaretti)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 92 08:48:24 EDT
1) Looks like there's an adjustment for the clutch re-assembly
   that I don't have a spec for.  I don't have special tool
   number XXX-XXX (The plate, actuator, etc) that the bentley
   manual calls for in putting this thing together, so I don't
   have any idea what the distancing of the lever arms from the
   top of the casing (or other convenient spot) should be.  Any
   wisdom on re-assembling the non-diaphram TR clutch would be
   nice.  It's my first clutch of this style, and I confess to
   being a bit worried (and I'm out of homebrew).

2) The "nose" no my new tranny is about .4" shorter than the one
   on the old one.  (This is the part of the input shaft that is
   supposed to ride in a little pilot bearing.  Does it have
   another name?).  According to my spare parts books, the input
   shafts on the TR tranny haven't changed since early TR3s.  Am
   I once again a victim of my own ignorance, or do I have a chance
   of making this thing work?  The new input shaft doesn't even
   protrude beyond the bell housing, and I can't figure out the
   "correct" measurements to take to reassure or depress myself.

3) Anybody else waiting on a clutch from TRF?  Sonja is going to
   be stuck off the road for at least another month, cause with
   her front end up on ramps for the tranny transplant, I can't
   very well work on the front suspension, even thought _those_
   parts have shown up (excepting the shocks).  Grrr.  It's going
   to be close for the SVRA event at mid-ohio.

4) Since my 'murrican car spring compressors won't work on the
   TR, anybody got a line on the style that they recommend?
   (The shock absorber replacement sort of thang).  Maybe another
   entry in the magic TRF price list that I don't know how to find?
   (I suppose I could call them, but I was here, and I thought
   someone might know already).

                                                        - MM

Who is getting bummed that he seems to be the only person
in Cincinatti not driving around with the top down lately.
Sometimes I wish I had the temperment to just throw money
at a mechanic instead of trying this stuff myself, but
somehow that would take the pleasure out of it.  Even when
it's annoying, it's still a tonic for my soul.
--
passaretti@crd.ge.com                     {whatever}!crdgw1!brahe!passaret
mrmike@fasun0.ae.ge.com         {whatever}!crdgw1!copernicus!fasun0!mrmike