Re: Painting

To: bobj@meaddata.com, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Painting
From: william sadler <wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1992 10:07:03 -0500
My ex-neighbor who painted my car is big on chroma-base.  He also wears
a full moon suit when painting.  It is very bad for you.  Cynocrylates (?)
I think.

But, if you can get the color you want in Chrombase that is probably the
best paint around right now.  But you have to wear protective clothing
and a _good_ respirator when working with it.

Acrylic enamel is not as dangerous, but you still need the respirator.
I wound up doing my car in enamel because the green I wanted was not
available in Chromabase or anything else.

BTW, the most important part of the paint job is the preparation.  If
you are going to be painting over a lot of little dings and stuff you
may want to use enamel since it is possible to fill in more than with
something like Chorombase.  But enamel has to dry for something like 6
months before you can wax it whereas Chrombase is ready to go in a much
shorter period of time (hours, I think).  I'm sure some of the other
LBCer's know more about this.

Will