Re: marque

To: british-cars@hoosier (SOL list)
Subject: Re: marque
From: tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 92 10:35:06 CDT
> *: How do you pronounce "marque"?  I say mark, but I have heard some
>    folks folks pronounce it as if it were part of a theater.

>From Webster's Seventh:

marque (1) \'mark\ n [ME, fr. MF, fr. OProv "marca," fr. "marcar" to
   mark, seize as pledge, of Gmc origin; aking to OHG "marcon" to
   mark] (obsolete): reprisal, retaliation

marque (2) n [F, mark, brand, fr. MF, fr. "marquer" to mark, of Gmc
   origin; akin to OHG "marcon" to mark]: a brand or make of a product
   (as a sports car)

marquee \mar-'kee\ n [modif. of F "marquise," lit. marchioness]
   1: a large field tent set up for an outdoor party, reception, or
   exhibition  2: a permanent canopy usu. of metal and glass
   projecting over an entrance (as of a hotel or theater)

--
T.J. Higgins | higgins@ingr.com | Intergraph Mapping Sciences | Huntsville, AL
"The most endangered species, the honest man" -- Rush