Re- DOT 3 or DOT 4

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re- DOT 3 or DOT 4
From: "Mark Rosneck" <mark_rosneck@pdxml1.mentorg.com>
Date: 22 Apr 92 16:27:17 U
Re:  DOT 3 or DOT 4
Dennis Wilson asks:  "I just put Dot 3 in my 77 Midget.  Will it really eat up
all the seals??"

I had a brake master cylinder replaced in my 74 MGB by a "brake professional"
when I was in Colorado and he used Dot 3 when he refilled the system.
Unfortunately, I didn't know any better.  The rubber in the wheel cylinders
turned to mush.  It looked like someone had taken a blow torch to them.  The
brakes failed just as I was leaving from my parents-in-law's house to head down
a mountain pass.  If they'd waited another 5 minutes to fail, it would have
been one heck of a ride.

I believe the Dot 3 had been in the car about a year and I wound up replacing
every rubber piece in the brake system.  It was a major pain.  I think I'd do
some major league flushing of your brake lines PDQ.

 Mark Rosneck
 Mentor Graphics Corporation
 8005 S.W. Boeckman Road
 Wilsonville, OR 97070-7777