re: RE>TR3/4 Spring Compressors

To: Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com
Subject: re: RE>TR3/4 Spring Compressors
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 22 Apr 1992 23:19 EDT

>        Reply to:   RE>TR3/4 Spring Compressors
>John Wroclawski writes:
>
>You can make a perfectly good spring compressor from a length of 5/8
>threaded steel rod, three nuts, a 1/4 steel plate, and some big thick
>washers.
>
>    **** You can save some labor by using a piece of wood 2x4  in place of the
>steel plate.  Just drill a hole in the middle for the threaded rod.  The 2x4
>will "conform" to the shape of the studs, etc without harming them.
>        - Jerry

Let me suggest that you not trust wood under the pressure of
the springs involved.  You'd be far better just using the suggested
large washer(s) at the top and a piece of bar stock, metal plate, etc
at the bottom.  The 2x4 would probably work, but I wouldn't want
to learn the hard way that the piece of wood I had used had a fault/flaw
etc in it and it cracked in half.

Just afriendly safety suggestion.

Bill
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com