Redcar progress, one day to go ....

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Redcar progress, one day to go ....
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 92 10:41:54 PDT
     With only one day to go to my self-imposed deadline of
     driving Redcar to work, last night was an exercise in
     deja vu'. Up far too late, bashing the back of my head
     several good times against the bonnet, etc. But I did
     make some significant progress;

     I managed to get the dip switch all wired up &
     installed, but not first w/o wiring it into the bracket
     upside down, and then realizing that the switch isn't
     symmetrical so you cannot simply turn it around. Take
     it out, re-form the wires to clear the bracket &
     re-install. All while working down under the pedals,
     which on a Sprite is a space about the size of a shoe
     box. Nevertheless, it's in & works. After making sure
     all was secure with the headlights, I set about wiring
     in the front park lamps/turn signals. Now, I mentioned
     before that I had fried the portion of the harness that
     was supposed to go to these lights, so I had to make up
     a new jumper first. 12ga & a few bullet connectors &
     all's well. I hooked it up to the front loom, then
     worked  it back under the dash to hook into the main
     switch. On a stock Sprite the light switch is a part of
     the ignition switch, but on mine I changed it to a
     two-position switch from a later model, with it being
     key-on, position 1 for parking lights, position 2 for
     main lights. A few minutes with the test light
     indicated which contact was which, and once hooked up,
     Voila ! front parking lights. I should say parking
     light, as one bulb was out. Once replaced, it was
     lights.
          The remainder of the evening was spent
     re-installing the rear loom, and I managed to get
     taillights, and determine which wire was turn signals &
     brake lights before turning in.

     So, Tonight; Hook up brake lights & rear turn signals,
     troubleshoot. Bolt up dashboard & steering column, fill
     radiator. Remove numbers, dust off & drive !

     Tomorrow: How Redcar fares in the commute .....

          all collective prayers appreciated-
                                          dstone@sc9.intel.com