Re: Ford Cortina

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Ford Cortina
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 92 11:12:56 -0400

Me Dad (in England) owned a couple of Ford Cortinas too.

First, he had a Mk I "C" reg (registered August 1st 1964).  It only had
the 1198cc engine -- same engine as the larger Anglia option.  This
version was produced from 1962 to 1966  (yes, they were still made in 1966,
the same year the Mk II was announced).  It was a nice maroon one with
a silver/grey cabin.  Bought used in the late 60s, it replaced his old
early 1960s Wolseley ("built like a brick "sh*thouse") 1500.  I loved
that old Wolseley too!

Second, he a had a Mk II "E" reg (registered August 1st 1966).  This
one was the Cortina 1500 (1499cc).  A nice light blue example.  He bought
this one used too, in about 1970 or 71.

A used "J" reg Morris 1100 finally replaced the latter Cortina.

Come to think of it, me Dad has _never_ bought a new car.  When one
of his cars gets to be too expensive to fix, he'd get something else.

Greatest regret:  Selling the Wolseley.  Some young copper from the local
constabulary bought it.  At least it went to a good home.

        Cheers!
        - Garry Archer