SpitFire merrily breathing and spittin again

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: SpitFire merrily breathing and spittin again
From: Kristian Simsarian <kristian@cs.uchicago.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 92 14:24:28 CDT

SOLers,

        A few weeks back I posted the pen-ultimate message about
the sick spitfire.  This should close the book.  It has been running
great for 2.5 weeks so I feel confident enough to say that it is fixed.

        If you remember, it stopped suddenly last november on a cool
moist night while driving on the motorway.  I sent the Allison back to
the company, they sent me a new optical unit saying the old one was
"iffie".  I reinstalled it on a cold January day, and the car still
didn't run well at all. So I was convinced that something else was
still wrong.  I replaced the fuel filter, coil, plugs, airfilter, did
valves, timming, mixture...  It was taylor!randy who seemed to know
what exactly was wrong.  I hadn't been precise enough when aligning
the allison trigger.  Once I reinstalled it - and cleaned out the
choke and Gas-recirc system also with some more great advice from
taylor!randy, the car ran great.  So now I am mucho pleased to have my
british metal running again.  The following SOL people were also
*extremely* helpful in sending me advice along the way:

     C R E D I T S
   ------------------
   muller@Alliant.COM
   tobin@neagp.enet.dec.com
   rgb@hal.com
   XamenEk!rkg@uunet.UU.NET
   DWILSON@OREGON.BITNET
   woodruff@engin.umich.edu
   twakeman@apple.com
   George_Malits@vos.stratus.com
   enu14@seq1.keele.ac.uk
   xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil
   frankel@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
   pwv@tc.fluke.com
   Dean_Zywicki@NIHDCRT.BITNET

----

Obligatory non-brit car content:

        No one has ever mentioned the new Mercury Capri 2+2.  Seems to
me it is a sharp car, if it had something decent under the hood and a
good suspension, it could be sort of a US Elan (gasp).

---

        Now to get the hard top off and duct tape the leaky hood.
Then deal with those rear hub bearings and U-joints.

Cheerio, Kristian