Spitfire for sale (not overpriced!)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Spitfire for sale (not overpriced!)
From: augi@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 92 12:23:48 EDT
After 2 years of faithful service, I am selling my 1971 Triumph Spitfire
Mk. IV.  You see, I only bought the car because I was going through collector
car withdrawal symptoms after putting my italian exoti-toy in the body shop,
and having to drive a Mazda GLC as a daily car.  Well, the italian car comes
out of the shop in two weeks, and the GLC got replaced by an RX7, so there
really isn't any excuse to pay insurance on three cars.  So, why does posting
this message make me sad??

Anyway, here is what the classified ad is going to say:
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Mk. IV, Red and shiny, runs well, $1300/BO.

And here's the real description:
The car is in fairly uneven condition -- I stripped the body down to bare metal
before painting it, but I only fixed surface rust; I simply painted over the
couple of places where the metal was rusted through.  So the car *is* red and
shiny, but the body is not perfect.  (there is painted-over rust at both dog
legs and along one rear wheel arch).  The car runs well, but leaks more than
the average amount of oil, mostly through the front seal.  I put in a new
clutch, rebuilt all the hydraulics, replaced all sorts of front end bushings/
trunnions, and then drove the car daily for over a year.  I put in new door
panels, and some new pieces of carpet, so the interior is presentable, although
the driver's seat is ripped.  Even though the rear window is not yet yellow, the
top is not great, but the car *does* have a new windshield.  Three of the tires
have uneven tread wear and should be replaced.  The fourth is brand new.

I want to sell it for a fair price, which I suspect is around $1200.  If
someone is interested in the car, but feels that that price is not fair, I'll
sell it for whatever the fair price is.  I don't really need to get top dollar,
I'd rather just find the car a good home.

I'm in the greater Philadelphia area, and can be reached via phone at
(215) 594 9922, or by email at augi@cmbvax.commodore.com.

                                                        Joe