Re: MG Car Club England

To: dlp@akguc.att.com
Subject: Re: MG Car Club England
From: Paul Osborne <paul@ee.rochester.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 May 92 10:57:55 EDT

> Attention MG Owners:
>
> The New England MG T Register and its officers are circulating letters
> protesting the (rumored?) establishment of the MG Car Club of England
> in the U.S.  Does anyone know of this.  Is the MGCC indeed trying to
> establish Centers here.  Many MG clubs are members of the MGCC, but
> as I understand, the MGCC (England) is trying to recruit members
> here, and require affiliated clubs to pay $100 per year as
> dues. "All of it going to the MGCCNA."
>
> Hum!  It seems to me that there is more yelling and screaming here
> than justified if all this is true.  No one can force a club to
> belong to another orgainzation.  What is all the yelling about, unless
> some particular interest group is scared to death that their power
> base will be erroded? (ie. competition).  If anyone on this group knows what
> the real story is, and why some people so paronoid, would they
> please post it so the rest of us can read it.
>
> Dan L. Philen  att!akgua!dlp
> Editor, Southeastern MG T Register.
>
> ---------------------------more added----------------------------
> It seems more explanation is needed.
> As added explanation, where is an excerpt from Dick Knudson's recent
> letter to the local chapters.  Dick is President (king) of the NEMGTR.
>
> "The M.G. Car Club of England is starting a new M.G. Club in North
> America appears to be a purely commercial venture.  They intend to go
> head to head with all existing clubs and registers here and to put
> them out of business.  They have appropriated a large sum of money for
> this purpose and have sent Phil Richer over here for an extended
> period of time to organize this new club and to enlist all of you as
> members of this new club.  They will have a full time, paid staff in an office
> over here.  As an aside, the Register has been going on for over
> 28 years with an all volunteer effort.  It seems they know better
> what we Americans need than we do."
>
> "...The new MGCC North America will require established clubs such as
> yours to pay an annual fee of $100.00.  I further understand that all of
> your club dues will go to MGCCNA!  I seem to remember a certain
> tea party that was about a similar plan."
>

> There is more, but you get the idea.  Like I said,  There is LOTS of
> paranoia here.  I just want to get the real story on what is happening
> here.  Over the week-end I got a three page single spaced letter from
> Dick Raymond (a director of the NEMGTR) raving about all of this, and
> how unfair and presumptous it is of the English, etc...  lots and lots
> of paranoia.  There has to be an underlying reason for all this concern.
> I am a member of the MGCC and the NEMGTR - what is the big deal?
>
> Dan

        Just suppose that they do establish a club here, each club
        that is now in operation does not have to join or even converse
        with them. It seems that all the groops and clubs are doing
        just fine with out them, and if no one joins them, it's hard to
        keep up an office and staff if there is no income. Sure we all
        want to recognized by the home organization but I feel that with
        the proposed structure it will not fly. I'm sure that my club
        will not hand over dues to a MGCCNA!

        paul