Temporary gas tank repair, Florida style

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Temporary gas tank repair, Florida style
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 92 09:09:35 PDT
     With the recent string about patching gas tanks, I
     have to relate an experience that happened to me many
     years ago with my first LBC, a Nash Metropolitan.
          I was piloting the "batmobile", (as it was
     affectionately known) thru the Appalachicola National
     Forest on a squirrel hunting expedition, when I decided
     to stop at what looked to be a good spot. The minute I
     stepped out of the Nash I smelled gasoline. Fearing the
     worst I peered under the back & saw that the entire
     bottom of the tank was wet. Very far from the nearest
     gas station and not knowing how much gas I had left in
     the tiny tank, I radioed for help. Pretty soon someone
     came by in truck to assist. Upon looking at the tank,
     we found that there wasn't a big hole (as I'd
     expected), but rather a few small pinholes that had
     gradually sprung forth. The guy in the truck looked at
     it for a minute, and then said he had a sure fix and
     ran back to his truck, and emerged with ......

     a bar of soap.

     Plain ole, whatever was on sale at Winn Dixie, riding
     around in the back of my 4by, soap. We wiped off the
     bottom of the tank, & scraped that bar of soap over the
     pinholes, & sure enough, the dripping stopped, just
     long enough for me to get it home, take it off &
     fiberglass the whole bottom.

     Maybe I should pen a Foxfire book for backwoods auto
     repair ...

     cheers-
            dstone@sc9.intel.com