Making old cars new again

To: hoosier!british-cars@cs
Subject: Making old cars new again
From: bownes@pluto.crd.ge.com (Robert M. Bownes)
Date: Thu, 7 May 92 10:05:38 EDT
> That caught me short, because I sort of agreed. And I realized
> that I need to be very careful here.

        That's one of the reasons I'm considering not painting the race
        car a different colour...Even if it is Hideous Neon Racing Green.

> So, how do I keep the car I love? I know I'll never find all the
> rattles, and I'll probably never get the tach light to work quite
> right, but how will I be able to look at this car and make the
> connection to the car I fell in love with almost three years ago?

        You drive her. Park her in the lot next to the 72 Dart, care for
        her as you would your best friend or child. Let her accumulate
        the badges of courage and age and rejoice in the fact that you can
        make her, unlike children, young again if need be. Don't lock
        her away, unreachable and pristine. She will age anyway. A
        fair, unblemished maiden locked in a castle tower to protect her
        from the uncouth heathens becomes a bitter aged woman.

        A british philosophy if ever I wrote one...I guess my ancestors
        are restless.

> I think I know a start -- the dash isn't going to get refinished. Cleaned,
> perhaps, but not made new. This is, after all, a work-in-progress,
> a daily driver, a faithful companion and close friend.

        There are those who oft point out that the only two constants in
        my life over the last 8 years have been my friends and 'Lizbeth.
        If the shrinks ever found out I care that much about an inanimate object
        I'd get locked up for sure...

> Not a thing to be put in a box and worried about.

        No, a thing to be driven, cared for and enjoyed. As per Ken's
        instructions. You know the offers I've gotten for 'Lizbeth,
        (all overrated in my book and fewer as I see theshiny new
        piant get chipped and dings appear). But do I put her in
        a box and worry? Not on your life. I`ve broken her and felt so
        bad about it I felt physically sick. When she was vandalized, I
        thought I'd cry. But put her away and not drive her? I could as
        easily put away my friends....

> This is a really tough thing to balance. Anybody been here and
> have bits of wisdom or words of advice?

        Take her out and drive her. Replace the dash and make her pretty
        if you like. But mostly care for her, take her for the
        spirited runs she was meant for. Grow old, dented, deer crunched,
        and top down sunny days together.

        Bob "Not as eloquent as Scott either, but trying"