No west coast VTR (or TRA) national meets

To: twakeman@apple.com
Subject: No west coast VTR (or TRA) national meets
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 8 May 1992 9:48 EDT
TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:
>I have never seen a VTR national convention on in the West coast states.
>TRA never seems to go beyound the neighborhood of a few people.
>
>I would like to see either national conventions become more national or
>be replaced by reginal national conventions such as Triumphfest tuned up.

VTR has endorsed moving the national meet around the country.  It was
one of my goals (and accomplishments) as VTR president.  Prior to
1987, all the VTR meets had pretty much been located in venues that
were in the northeast.  As the VTR membership blurb shows, we then had
willing host chapters in 1987 (Atlanta), 1988 (Dallas), 1989 (NY),
1990 (Colorado) and back to Kentucky in 1991.  92 is in Savannah, GA
and 1993 will be hosted by the TYEE Triumph club which is Seattle,
Washington based.

Contrary to anything anyone else may say (there was a rumor, misconception,
whatever), VTR has been open to having a west coast meet for at least
6 years or more.  However, to have that happen absolutely REQUIRES
having a willing and able host chapter.  So, I don't know how, without
a request from a west coast club, the meet can be held in say California.

One last comment, VTR has not simply had a wish/desire to see a west
coast national meet.  We have published that comment/request in our
newsletter on several occasions.  Again, it still takes a willing
local club/chapter to step up to the task.

------TRA national meet:
While I'm not a member of TRA, I suspect the difficulty they have is
that a TRA national meet is a one model (TR-2/3) event and since the
vast majority of local Triumph clubs, including almost all that are
recognized TRA chapters, have a membership that consists of owners of
all types of Triumph models, it becomes a problem getting internal
(local) club support to host a one model national meet.  Anyway, just a
thought.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com