Renown Action

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Renown Action
From: DODD@ELMO.EL.WPAFB.AF.MIL
Date: Mon, 11 May 1992 7:52:02 EDT
Here is the auction report:  The Renown was in #2-3 condition.
It looked very original.  It was not the limo as advertised,
surprise.  The only thing bodywise was that it had probably been
resprayed, but several years ago.  The body looked pretty tight
and true.  No rotted out framing was evident since the doors hung
true.  The interior clearly had the original leather.  The wood
may have been refinished as it was in very good shape.  The
auctioneer said he saw it driven on many occasions so it must (;-
)) have been in good shape mechanically.  The auctioneer prefaced
the bidding with the fact that there was no reserve on the car.
Maybe I can get a deal me thinks.  He then says that he expects
the car to go for $15-20K, and begins the bidding at $10K.  The
crowd is absolutely silent.  Someone finally chimes in at $5K.
And the TR was sold.  No other bidders.  Talking to some of the
others there, they laughed.  The guy that bought it did not know
what he was doing and probably thought he was getting a bargain.
Most knowledgeable TR people there quoted $6K as the high book
value and thought $2-4K would have been much more reasonable.
One of the organizers of the local TR club said that it had a
different block than the TR 2-4s.  This doesn't ring true with
what some others on the net stated.  The guy also said someone
had a razor edge for sale at last years British Car Day for $3.5K
and did not get a single nibble.
Thanks to everyone that replied to my request for info.
By the way, the MGA was in restored shape except for the chrome,
It had a hard top and went for $6.9K.  That was much more
reasonable than the Renown.
MAD