The search for a Jaguar XJ6.

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: The search for a Jaguar XJ6.
From: scott@psy.uwa.oz.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Fri, 15 May 1992 13:46:39 +0800
Hi Jaguar and British car enthusiasts

Scott #2 Here...Just thought I'd update what I have been up to in my search
for a Jaguar XJ6 (4.2) here in Perth Western Australia.  I have been quite
methodical and perhaps starting in places that may seem a little obscure so
I thought I'd share it with you.  It may be a good way to start looking
for any car you know little about.

1) The first step was to ask the net for details about Jags XJ6 and XJS
1975-86.   this has included this list, rec.autos, rec.autos.antique etc.  This
was a
   good starting point and thanks to all those who helped me. I ended up
   settling on the 1982-85 period XJ6 (4.2).

2)  The next thing I did was check how much it was going to cost to insure.
    If I could not afford the insurance I thought I'd forget it then and there.
    Here in Australia we have something known as a "luxury" car tax :-(
    As such certain cars are very expensive to insure.  For example the worst
    case I found for a $14,000 (all prices in US dollars) Jag was $1400 a
    year!!!  After calling my local Jag club and looking at my driving record
    it looks like I can get a $14 000 insured for $320 a year, which here
    in OZ is great :-)

3)  Step 3 was the most exciting yet...I went to the annual Jaguar club
    "open day" (I can't spell concourse de french-word french-word :-)
    They had about 80 Jags there from SS100's to the XJ400 (boxy volvo-look-
    alike new thing).  There after drooling over E-types and Mk II's I had a
    chat to several XJ6 owners about living with a "cat".  This was a good
    place for info on spares, cost of repairs, good mechanics rtc.

4)  Step 4 was to buy Haynes (Jaguar) Repair manual...it covers the XJ6
    series from 1968-86. Interesting read...good to see what I am letting
    myself in for. I will get the proper (Jag factory) service manual
    when I actually buy one. That way I can get the specific year.
    As I intend to do as much of the work on it myself I thought I'd
    see if I was being realistic...looks ok to me.  The only thing
    I can see that will be a pain is that often you have to dismantle
    1/2 the engine to get at things like a radiator or oil filter :-)

5)  Step 5 was/is happening at the same time of 4...that's looking in the
    paper and going out to test-drive some and look around to get the feel
    for what is a good deal.  I had also been keeping records from the paper
    for about 6 months to get an idea of prices (without actually seeing the
    cars).

6)  Step 6 was the dangerous one :-) I introduced myself to the local Jaguar
    dealer.  I explained (over the phone) what I was after XJ6 1981-85.  And
    that when he gets a "manual" in I'd like him to call me up.  As in the US
    manuals are fairly rare here...I know of 2 for sale in Perth at the moment
    so they are not "so" rare that you have to wait 8 months before one comes
    up.  I was not sure if I wanted a manual or an automatic, as I had never
    driven a manual.  All the ones I had been in were autos.  Well the manual
    was a weird experience...anyone who has been in a 80's XJ6 will know
    how little exhaust note and engine noise there is.  It's sooooo quiet
    and smooth you have to keep your eyes glued to the tacho otherwise you
    will find yourself doing 8000 rpm in 1st thinnking you are driving the auto
    :-).  Is it better than the auto?  Well I know the car has been designed
    as a luxury cruser and most people would preffer the auto to suit the
    cars design but a manual XJ6 is "great" in my opinion.  The 5 speed is
    a superb box.  Gives you the best of both worlds...luxury car with a
    sporty transmission. Also I like the engine to assist as a brake..never
    liked autos much.

7)  Buying...well I'm now in a position where I am staring to gain my
confidence    as a buyer.  From knowing "nothing" about jags except I like them
to having
    a fair idea how to strip the engine down and what constitures a "good" buy.
    I'll let you all know what I get...still looking for an offer too good to
    turn down.

Regards Scott #2.
Scott Fisher [scott@wapsy.uwa.oz]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3574).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.                 Perth -->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

    *** ERROR 144 - REBOOT? is a registered trademark of ENSONIQ Corp ***