Grose jet results

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Grose jet results
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Thu, 14 May 92 19:00:09 -0700
Hello Fellow Brit Car Enthusiasts,

Well I have finally sorted and gathered all of the results of the poll
of "For and Against the use of Grose jets". The reults were quite
startling, I thought with some of the mail I seen before I asked for the
poll appeared to give an unfavorable light on Grose jets.

I got no flames on why or why not to use Grose jets. I got exactly what
I asked for and wanted, which was 'do you use or have you ever used
Grose jets, and if so what were your results.'

I even got some tips (indirectly) on what it takes to install them. It
appears that they install a little different than the stock float valves.
>From what I could gather from the mail from more than one response, was
they act unfavorable to HIGH fuel pressure, meaning one needs a
regulator to regulate the pressure getting to the carbs. Also some of
the replies said that inline fuel filters just before the carb(s) help
also, because the Grose jets like dirt in the fuel even less than
normal/stock valves/jets. And last but not least was that the tabs on
the floats have to be adjusted even more than normal to get the Grose
jets to work right, appearently they are shorter than the standard jet.

Some folks had mixed results with them, some said that they were fine for
idling and around town, but under a load on the hiway that stuck open, or
atleast they dumped more fuel into the float bowl than normal. I have
yet to master the technique of looking under the hood at hiway speeds :^()
So I will stick with the prefered method of sniff checking at speed :)

All in all, it appears that the Grose jets have it by a margin of 4 to
1, with a couple of undecided, and the reason I had the undecided was
that some of the responses would not fit yea or nay.

    FOR             AGAINST            UNDECIDED
   -----           ---------          -----------
    12.5             3.5                  3

The reason for the the .5 in both the for and against, was that the case
of worked ok in town and at idle but did not work ok on the hiway under
load.

So there it is folks. Sorry it took so long to get the results out but I
had some pressing matters here at work. And because they pay the bill
they came first. Also I wanted to see if any of the folks that might get
the digest had a chance to read the digest and respond.

I hope this helps other folks as much as it will/has helped me. So I
guess I will be installing Grose jets this weekend in my LBC carbs.

For those interested in some of the tips I received send mail to me and
I will be happy to mail those responses to you.

THANKS A MILLION FOR ALL OF THE RESPONSES I RECEIVED FROM Y'ALL!!!

Bruce...