MGB tie rod ends

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: MGB tie rod ends
From: sanders@triton.unm.edu
Date: Sun, 17 May 92 15:52:59 -0600
After several months, the 69 B is down off the blocks. I spent a productive
Saturdays effort finishing assembling the front end and was two tubing flare
jobs away from a bleed and a long-awaited test drive. Damn! broke the flare
tool off - looks like I'll have to wait another week. Anyway....

One thing I've always had trouble with is how to properly tighten the tie rod
end bolt/nut where it joins the lever off the swivel axle. As it gets tightened,
it rotates the bolt that swivels within the tie rod end piece and there is
no apparant way to secure the bolt during the process. I usually avoid solving
the problem and just let the alignment shop deal with it as part of their
processing.

What's the trick to properly tightening this? Comments are appreciated.

John Sanders
sanders@triton.unm.edu