steering wheels

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: steering wheels
From: william sadler <wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1992 09:20:59 -0500
I did some work on my car last night (replaced the thermostat, temp
gauge, center rod in window) and decided I should check the steering
wheel since I ahve noticed a little slop in it lately.

After taking the cover off (and discovering that the directions in my
manual were for the pre-LBJ '67 steering wheel) I discovered that
the nut holding the steering wheel to the column was almost completely
loose!  There are four metal "nubs" hat are supposed to prevent it from
loosening, but they have worn off.

The slop I had noticed was from where the steering wheel attached to the
drive bracket (little screws were loose) and had nothing to do with the main
nut.  Does this happen often, because I envisioned all sorts of possible
scenarios after I discovered this?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular varnish/finish to
sue on the steering wheel?  I am re-finishing it while it is off the
car.

c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
c  _    _   ___    ___        Ceeasaurus!                         c
c | \  / | /   \  /   \  Will    | wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu c
c |  \/  ||   __ |       Sadler  | or will@cica.indiana.edu       c
c |      | \___/  \___/       Bloomington, Indiana                c
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c