Re: Wooden mini

To: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Subject: Re: Wooden mini
From: Cognitive Dissonance On-A-Stick <sfisher@wsl.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 92 17:13:38 PDT
    gerry@probe.att.com (Gerry) writes:
    > [I wrote:]
    > >Yes it was built by the factory.  The model type is best known as a
    > >Mini Traveller.  Never, if ever, a "station wagon" or "estate".
    >
    > Wasn't this also known as the Countryman ?

    Yes, I'd forgotten!

    Actually, perhaps Mini fans can confirm, wasn't it Morris Mini Traveller
    and Austin Mini Countryman?

I'm pretty sure that's correct.  My Mini was a Morris (with the bull
in the logo and everything), and it was clearly called a Morris Mini
Traveller.  I also have some British sales literature from about 1971
or 1972 that lists the Countryman as the long-wheelbase/rear-doors
version of the Mini; dunno if they were all called Austins by that
time (grace a B(P)L) or not.

The Traveller is a neat little car.  It's only marginally longer (10")
than the standard Mini, yet that gives it an even smoother ride than
the surprisingly comfortable Mini.  The added length makes it a
really useful vehicle for carrying spares, camping gear, or other
things; I think it was just barely long enough for me to lie down
in, making it almost useful as a campmobile.

My Traveller, BTW, came without wood on the sides, though the wood
was a factory option (as well as a popular aftermarket add-on, as
are the Rokee dashes that cover the neat Mini shelf with the oval
pod in the middle in which the speedo is mounted).

I miss my Mini.  Yet another car I wish I'd had the patience and
money to work with...

--Scott