Radar traps

To: BRITISH-CARS@HOOSIER
Subject: Radar traps
From: Sebastian Welton <SWELTON@ESOC.BITNET>
Date: Wed, 20 May 92 17:38:47 CET
We have good old radar traps here in Germany. The most obvious ones are
at traffic lights where they flash you if you cross a red light (there are
ways round this, but not easy, two blokes here in town decided to go through
the lights, one wearing a Ronald Reagan mask and the other a Thatcher. The
photo is of your number plate and face.) Another type is found on motorway
bridges and takes photos of cars that are tailgating at high speed. (German
insurance companies and the law now state that if you hit a car at over
130km/h then you're part responsible for the costs.) The other type are
speed traps of which there are a few variations, they're usually well hidden
(such as behind bushes and in waste bins, well I didn't see the two that
got me, not even the flash!). These also take a picture of your face as
previously it was a rear photo and people were denying it was them. Recently
they've been developing new ones which are very accurate and un-noticeable
(such as on car bumpers). However the police have to place a notice in
the local paper about a week previous to placing the speed traps stating
where and when they are, but they always seem to make them very small and
hard to find!

Seb

swelton@esoc.bitnet European Space Operations Centre, Darmstadt, Germany