Re: beginner questions, MGB

To: sfisher@wsl.dec.com (Cognitive Dissonance On-A-Stick)
Subject: Re: beginner questions, MGB
From: pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 22 May 92 12:51:20 CDT
Scott "So many cars, so little money" Fisher writes \

\Is THAT what makes that noise!  I thought it was coming from the front
\wheels.  I shimmed the brake calipers to move them slightly inboard,
\because I was getting scraping noises from the front wheels.  Even then,
\under autocrossing G-loads, I'd occasionally get that scraping noise.

Right.  You can take off the brake drum and see the matching shiny spots on the
drum and backing plate.  Brian's bearings and halfshafts have been lasting OK,
so its a "don't worry" noise.

\that wire wheels move the stress to a different part of the suspension

Nah.

\or that skinny tires with a
\Rockwell of about 58 don't generate enough grip for this to be an
issue).

Yes.  Especially on wires.

\You can get 195-60HR14 tires on 6" rims under a stock B fender if you
\roll the lip out of the way.  Bob will know what I mean.

Yes, but the trick tires come in 185-60-14, and you get the gear ratio
and ride-height advantages, too.

\the extra weight in the chassis
\helps keep Bs solid in spite of their age and their toplessness.

Stiff as a bridge, just like a Spridget.

\(Hmmmm, maybe with a new set of wire wheels
\and some sticky tires mounted on them, then I'd keep the hard tires
\for commuting...

No.  Wire wheels are just too whippy.  You need some serious rigidity for
modern autocross tires.  New wire wheels are expensive, too.  If you are going
to spend money, get the center-lock MiniLite clones.  I think Vicky Brit has
them at a good price.  Quite spendy compared to bolt-ons, but not so bad when
you see what wires would cost.  Very rigid, and look fabulous with your chrome
winged knock-offs.  So then you would have the old wires for street and the
mags for autocross.  I would have done this for my Midget, but was too broke.

\I haven't ground the intake ports more than an inch
\from the manifold face, after all... :-)

I noticed that at the time, and was wondering why you mentioned it then. :-)

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324