Metal Protectant

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Metal Protectant
From: RCG1597@ZEUS.TAMU.EDU
Date: Fri, 22 May 1992 16:06:33 -0500 (CDT)
        I just thought I would put this out here in case there is someone that
might be interested.  I am currently rebuilding an MGA, and as anyone out there
probably knows, these types of things take a long time.  One of my long-running
problems has been the fear of putting sub-assemblies back on the frame too soon
for fear of corrosion.  Stuff like wheel assemblies with disk brakes or other
parts that have metal showing that would not corrode during normal use but will
when it is sitting up being restored.  Of course this doesn't mean anything for
those of you who have carefully climate-controlled garages, but in Houston, it
gets kinda humid and I don't have the garage air-conditioned.
        There are only two solutions (that I know of) that can solve this
problem. 1)Keep these parts well-stored and well-wrapped until final assembly,
which is sometimes an impossible option, or 2) Coat the part with something
that
doesn't rust.  This can be something like oil-soaked rags or grease or
something
, but all of these are a pain to clean up.  The best solution that I've seen so
far is some stuff that the Eastwood co. has recently started selling.  They
call
it Nyalic or some such.  You just spray it on.  It's transparent, so overspray
shouldn't create any hassles, and it cleans up with mineral spirits.  The
problem here is that Eastwood wants $13.00 (I think) for a 10oz can.  When I
looked in thier catalog, the stuff had a Dow-Corning label on it.  So I
contacted a local distributor and they sell it for $6 a can.  I'm going to try
the stuff and see just how well it works and how far this can goes and I'll
post
up the results.

-Just thought I'd contribute...

*Rick Guynn -MG driver wanna-be.  *  MGA 1600 MkII                        *
*RCG1597@zeus.tamu.edu            *  Rebuild (complete) to be finished ?? *
*Texas A&M University             *                                       *
*Keeper of the eternal octagon    *                                       *
* a.k.a. The marque symbol that   *                                       *
*        refuses to die.          *                                       *