Re: mjb's quick note

To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Re: mjb's quick note
From: Chris Kent Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1992 01:01:47 PDT
As Mark said, I made it, and we've been busy:

        What in the world are you doing at Fat Chance Garage?  And what is it?

The short version: picking up and installing an overdrive transmission in my
TR4A.

The long version: I've wanted an overdrive transmission since about 35 seconds
after I bought the TR. Five months or so ago pointed out an ad
for a '69 TR6 for $750 - and it had an overdrive tranny that would bolt right
up. The only problem was that it was in Salt Lake City.
But he was willing to store it in exchange for temporary use of
the engine, to swap into his TR250 .. but that's another story. So I sent him
a check, he bought the car, and parked it next to the garage.

I finally found time to get out here, and we've
        stripped the interior
        removed old exhaust
        pulled the old tranny
        replaced U joints in drive shaft
        replaced U joints in left half shaft
        cleaned and painted various bits
        checked out new tranny (looks like it had a recent rebuild)
        installed new clutch
That was in the first day and a half. Still to go:
        get proper new throwout bearing (I was suffering brain fade)
        pull overdrive electrics from TR6
        install new tranny
        install overdrive electrics in TR4A
        install the Monza exhaust I've had sitting around for two years
        install the new ABS tranny cover
        replace the interior
        find the oil leak (dipstick always at low mark, no matter how much
                oil I dump in)
        find the gas seepage around the fuel pump
        repair broekn oil pressure line
        tune and test
We probably won't get to:
        rebuild clutch slave cylinder
        repair stupid previous owner welding on clutch pedal
        paint pedal box and pedals
        install new clutch master
        install Aeroquip clutch line
I'm leaving Monday, and we have two half day events scheduled Sat and Sun.

This sure beats working!