Zackery's Gettin Zippy

To: British Cars <british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu>
Subject: Zackery's Gettin Zippy
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 21 May 1992 20:12:00 -0400
Zack, my '34 MG PA is just starting to get good. With the new tires aquired
before last fall's event, and the generator now generating, he's starting
to get out a bit. Next will be respoking the roadwheels, and probably a
new steering drop-arm, possibly steering box shaft as well. There's
a lot of slop in the splines between the two, which has been responsible for
1/8 turn steering wheel play (out of 1 1/2 lock-to-lock!). Sunday afternoon,
after the local old-cars drive-in breakfast, I managed to get some
aluminium flashing in there as shim. (not easy on small splines) Now I've
got a taste of reasonably tight steering. This weekend, I ought to
replace the rear bearing seal on the off side, as it's doing an imitation
of that which was formerly leaking on the near side.

Sure, one of these days I'll yank the driveline and replace all the leaky
seals, and it really does need a spot of body work and a paint job. But,
it's a beautiful spring, summer is on the way, and Zack says it's good
to be out and about again. And, I'm even getting used to explaining to people
that "Yes, MG did make cars before the T's", and "that upright cylinder at
the front of the engine really is the generator, driving the Over Head Cam."
And, it sure is hard to beat the brr-aap of that willing little 847cc engine
winding out to redline...

Saftey Fast!
      Roger Garnett           (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."