[brucec@amex-trs.com: water pumps and pulleys]

To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: [brucec@amex-trs.com: water pumps and pulleys]
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Thu, 28 May 92 11:40:48 -0700
Date: Tue, 26 May 92 14:34:48 -0700
>From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: water pumps and pulleys

*** Wanring Repost, If you have read this already ignore this message ***

Well I will try this again, it appears that it bounced because I got a
lot of returns on this one. So I'm not sure if it ever made out on the
wire or not.

I'm not quite sure how ot start this message. At first it was going to
be a request but I have found the part I'm looking for locally. So it is
a request for some information as none of the folks I know personally
have the correct answer.

Here is the dilemma, this weekend I was going to pop the radiator out
and have it rodded out. But on removing the fan belt and fan and
associated parts and hardware I discovered that the bracket portion of
the water pump for the altenator was broken. So I proceeded to try and
locate a water pump. I found one at the local NAPA parts house, none of
the usual places had one local.

The car is a '77 MGB, that has had an engine change in it. It now has a
'65 GB engine. Well the folks that did the engine change in it apparently
used the old water pump from the '77 engine. The reason I say this is
after getting the water pump for the '65 engine I could not mount the
pulley back on. The pulley rubbed on the water pump casing, there by
making it impossible to mount the new pump. So I ended up putting the old
one back on and tried to locate a pulley for the '65. I located said
pulley for the water pump.

My question is, what is the differences in water pumps from the various years?
>From what I can ascertain it appears that maybe the (at least)  '77
water pump is somewhat longer in the the nose where the pulley mounts to
than the older '65 version. Or am I confused, and delerious.

Also I hope and believe that the broken bracket is causing the
overheating in the car. Because the belt was/is rather loose and what I
suspect is that the belt was maybe slipping when it was turning on the
pulleys.

Any thoughts, suggestion, etc... are appreciated.

Thabks,

Bruce...