RE: LBM (Little British Motorcycles)

To: "British.cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: LBM (Little British Motorcycles)
From: Shel Hall <76701.103@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 29 May 92 00:49:24 EDT
Folks-

moore@profsc.fsl.noaa.gov (Mark Moore) asks an LBM (Little British
Motorcycles) Question ...

>>> I'm thinking about buying a British motorcycle. The two I have my
eye on are:

                Triumph 1967 TR6-C  650cc
          -or-  BSA 1970 Lightning 650cc (twin-carb
                                           2.5 gallon tank)
<<<

Get the Triumph.

I used to spin wrenches in a Honda/BMW/BSA/Norton/Matchless dealer about
the time those bikes were new, and _every_ BSA we sold had major
mechanical troubles.  I mean major major, like thrown rods, spun main
bearings, trashed trannies, you name it.  BSA was dying, along with all
the Britbikes, and you could see why; they just couldn't compete with
Honda and the other Japanese brands when it came to trouble-free
service.

Triumph lasted the longest of all the British makes here in the USA,
and was the most popular, I think.  I think you'll be happier with the
Triumph, and I'm sure the spares situation is better.

I have no idea what they are worth; old Britbikes, more than anything
else, are priced on condition.  A real, correct restoration would put
the TR-6C in the $2,000-$5,000 range, I guess, if the prices in
Hemmings for various Triumph models of that era are any guide.

As you can tell, motorcycle restoration isn't something folks go into
to make money!

I'm assuming the TR-6C is the single carb model with the sheet-metal
panels and the faired-in headlight; that's what the "C" meant on the
T20C Tiger Cub.  If so, the presence of the correct sheet metal is key
to the value as a collectible; since most of those bikes had the sheet
metal removed and tossed years ago, full and correct sheet metal is
pretty rare.

OTOH, if the C means something else, never mind.

I've had a BSA, and I've had two Triumphs, but neither was a late
sixties twin:

The Triumph was my first real motorcycle; it was a 200 single Tiger Cub
(T20S/S) and it was a blast.  It was mostly original, and quite nice. I
bought it in 1965, and I guess it was a '58 or '59; I still have the
workshop manual for it (with the picture of the T20C and its sheet
metal), but it doesn't even have a copyright notice, and I don't see any
mention of a year model anywhere.

The BSA was a 1947 350 single, virtually identical to the War Department
bikes from 1944, right down to the rigid frame.  It had the speedo in
the tank (the WD models had them in the headlight housing, I think) and
a non-WD-style saddle.  It was all original, perfect, and ran like a
dream. The only problem I had was the cam plate in the transmission; I
had to make a new one from sheet steel because the old one was worn out.
The rest of the tranny was OK.  Go figure. It was my sole transportation
in 1966, and we caused a sensation at Daytona that year, as I had found
a pretty close replica of a WWII British WD dispatch rider's uniform,
and wore it every time I went into town.

About the same time, I also had a 1948 Triumph 500 "Sprung Hub" twin
for a short time. I think they only made that bike for a couple of
years, as a transition from rigid frame to the swinging arm.  The Sprung
Hub models had the same rigid frame, but had springs in the rear wheel
hub that allowed some suspension movement in the back.  It wasn't all-
original, like the BSA was, but it looked more the WD bike, being dark
green.

My roomate had a BSA A-10 650 twin, and it was OK, especially given
that he never maintained it at all.  Like most Britbikes, the electrics
were very dodgy, and he was forever coming home at midnight with no
lights, or with glowing wires dangling from the frame, or something.
The ignition circuit was OK, but the lights?  Feh!

I almost bought a Velocette, once.  If you don't know them, they are the
absolute, distilled essence of English single-cylinder motorcycles.
This one was a genuine Thruxton, which stand atop the pyramid of
Britbikes, save only the Manx Norton and the Vincent Black Shadow.

Just to keep my Whitworth tools from rusting, I'm currently assisting in
the restoration of a Vincent for a friend; it will be perfect when it's
done, but it was pretty good looking to start with.  Too bad the inside
of the engine wasn't as nice as the outside.  Vincents are unique in the
history of motorcycling, and their one-litre V-twin engines are unlike
any other; for one thing, the rocker arms actuate the valves via collets
_below_ the valve springs ... The Black Lightning has a huge, clockwork-
driven 150 MPH speedo, and means every bit of it. Pretty hot, for 1953.

I expect he will have $15-16,000 in the bike when we're done.

Oh, God, now you have me in the mood ... I really would like to have my
BSA 350 back ...

-Shel