Rust Stop/Prevent

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Rust Stop/Prevent
From: Bob Spidell <spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 92 8:45:04 PDT
Hello fellow SOLs;

Sorry if this has been beaten to death some time in the past, but I'd
like to get the collective wisdom from the net on stopping existing
rust and preventing future rust.  This is for a stop-gap measure only;
my Austin-Healey 3000 has patches of rust on the chassis and I don't
intend to do a frame-off for at least 8 or 10 years, at which time I'll
strip, dip and paint.

There are at least two products on the market that claim to stop existing
rusting and prevent future rusting.  One is called ACF-50 ("Anti-Corrosion
Formula?").  This is marketed in aviation circles and appears to be
primarily for aluminum.  I bought a small aerosol can and tried it; it
has the same constituency and odor as WD-40, but it's purple (dye?).  It's
too early to tell how well it works, but I get the feeling just plain old
WD-40 may work almost as well and it's a lot cheaper.

The other product I've seen advertised is called Waxoyl.  Moss sells it
and it comes in a 2-liter can with a pump-spray applicator for about
$45.  Anybody used this stuff?  How does it work?  Any and all thoughts
and comments appreciatied.

The last approach would be one of the "anti-electrolysis" devices sold
by J. C. Whitless (and probably others).  Supposedly these devices
introduce a small electrical current into the chassis which prevents
or even reverses electrolytic corrosion.  Thoughts, comments, giggles?

Thanks and Regards,
Bob