Re: Engine Painting

To: uunet!hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: Engine Painting
From: pacdata!dave@uunet.UU.NET (Dave Ambrose)
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 92 13:14:52 PDT
>|Date: 6-3-92  11:43am
>|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
>
>   As far as painting an engine goes: is it easier to paint the parts
>when the engine is apart, or to wait until its all back together ?  Does
>the engine paint go right onto the clean block, or does it need
>primered?

        With the engine paint I used,  no primer was necessary.

        Without any gaskets,  I lightly bolted the cylinder head, valve
cover, timing cover and oil pan onto the engine.  The engine was still
on the stand.  I still masked a bunch of little openings and places I
didn't want to paint,  like the distributor and manifold surfaces.

        Aside from the goofy red-orange colour I used,  everything came
out fine.  I did take the effort to degrease the block before I masked
it.  Brake cleaner worked very well,  although laquer thinner should
work too.

-----
David Ambrose - Pacific Data Products           UUCP: uunet!pacdata!dave
619/597-3426                                Internet: dave@pacdata.com

Play it cool,  play it cool,  fifty-fifty fire and ice -- Joni Mitchell