Re: PVC pipe was re: air compressors

To: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Subject: Re: PVC pipe was re: air compressors
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 12 Jun 1992 14:24 EDT
>whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h) writes:
>> So with those numbers in mind, I'd think 180 psi rating should be fine,
>> especially since most stuff is produced with a safety margin in order to
>> be sold by the manufacturer with a high degree of confidence that every piece
>> is capable of sustaining 180 psi.
>
>Hmmm. Might it be possible for pulses from the compressor to exceed 180 psi?
>In other words, the pressure in the lines may AVERAGE 100-120 psi, but the
>individual bumps from the compressor might go significantly higher than that.
>Just wondering out loud...

That would be likely if there was no tank, I'd expect the tank (20
gallon in my case) to act as a "buffer" or capacitor to smooth out
any sudden pressure increases due to the action of each stroke of the
compressor.  Is that logical, engineering/physics wise?

Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com