Another British term

To: hoosier.cs.utah.edu!british-cars
Subject: Another British term
From: jeb@mtqua.att.com
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 92 13:17 EDT
I just received a new book, "How to Restore British Sposts Cars"
by Jay Lamm, published by Classic Motorbooks.  Can't have too
many books like this, I figure.  I've just glanced through it,
and it looks like it may be a good reference.  Anyway, it has
a page of English-American translations, including most of those
we've already mentioned:

   proud = raised above
   baulk ring = synchro ring
   flat = sand (think I've heard this used before)
   linish = grind
   grub screw = leadless Allen bolt

But here's a new one, and a great one.  Fits right into our
SOL lexicon:

   swarf = metal filings and crud

"I was sworking on me LBC, picking the swarf out of the
 corners of the boot, you know . . . "

Anybody else ever hear this one?

Jim Beckman    AT&T, Middletown, NJ   att!mtqua!jeb