TR7/8 Rover 3500/SD1 gearbox

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR7/8 Rover 3500/SD1 gearbox
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James A. TenCate)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 92 14:35:48 -0500
After a long trip to Atlanta and back to Austin in my TR-8, my
gearbox has developed a bad case of "chatter"  Someone on the
TR8 sublist has already suggested a bad bearing.  The gearbox
is the standard Rover 5 speed box.  Yes, it IS topped up with
gear oil.

SYMPTOMS:  The shift lever feels like it's really a stick running
along a picket fence.  This rattling shift lever occurs at all
speeds.  I'm also getting some noise from the gearbox itself.
For some gears, I can push the shift lever outwards and the
noise goes away.  Any ideas??

It also looks like I'm going to try rebuilding this myself.  Any "gotchas"
that anyone knows about??  I seem to recall someone saying something a
while back about shimming the shift fork?  However, my memory is fading
so I'm asking you all again :-)  ANY and ALL comments welcome.  Thanks.

jim
jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu